Recipe of the Month: November 2012
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Skill Level: Easy
- 1-1/2lbs boneless skinless chicken, diced small
- 1 Large onion cut in large dice
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cut in large dice
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely minced
- Cooking spray
- 1 32oz. container low fat low salt chicken stock, reserve about 1/4 cup for puree step below
- 2 14½ ounce cans cannellini or great northern beans, divided, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1 Can Tomatoes, 32 oz.
- Dash of liquid smoke
- Dash of white wine
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat a stock pot on medium high heat for one minute. Spray with the cooking oil and add the diced chicken. Sauté until browned. Add onions, bell pepper and toss to coat. Turn the heat to high and continue to cook until veggies begin to caramelize (About 5 minutes).
- Add chicken stock, one can of the beans, diced tomatoes, a dash of liquid smoke and a dash of wine. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and cover to simmer while you make the puree mixture in step 3.
- In a food processors (or blender) add the other can of beans, fat free cheddar cheese, and reserved ¼ cup chicken stock. Process mixture until smooth. Add the pureed bean mixture to the pot and stir to incorporate. Add the last three ingredients (spices). Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.