Recipe of the Month: January 2010
Beef and Barley Stew
- 4 Slices bacon, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds stew beef, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8oz. Sliced mushrooms
- 1 Cup celery, diced
- 1 ½ Cups onions, diced
- 6 Cups beef broth
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/3 Cup prepared barley
- 2 Cups carrots, sliced
- 1 Large potato, diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 Cup green frozen peas, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch blended with 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cook the bacon over medium high heat until just starting to crisp.
- Place the beef, flour, salt and pepper into a large zippy bag and toss well. Add to the bacon and cook for one minute.
- Add the oil, mushrooms, celery and onion and cook until the beef is browned and onion is tender.
- Add the beef broth and bay leaf. When simmer returns, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add barley and carrots and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer for 25 minutes longer. Add the peas and corn starch and water mixture and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.